Artist-run residency id11 in Delft welcomes artists from the cities Arad/Romania, Kaunas/Lithuania, Genoa/Italy, Delft/Netherlands, Harghita County/Romania, Valladolid/Spain, Aveiro/Portugal, Linz/Austria, Kristiansand/Norway, Lecce/Italy, Pardubice/Czech Republic and Vilnius/Lithuania to apply for the residency program DELFT OP ZICHT
Art initiative id11 organizes artist-in-residence projects in temporarily available spaces such as vacant shops, office spaces or apartment buildings to be demolished or renovated. During the months of August and September 2013, id11 invites 8 professional artists from the CreArt network to create site-specific artwork in Delft, The Netherlands. Preference is given to works with a wide variety of media and diversity of approaches. In a period of two months the participating artists will work towards a final public presentation.
Application guidelines and criteria
• CreArt is a collaboration between the 12 European cities: Arad/Romania, Kaunas/Lithuania, Genoa/Italy, Delft/Netherlands, Harghita County/Romania, Valladolid/Spain, Aveiro/Portugal, Linz/Austria, Kristiansand/Norway, Lecce/Italy, Pardubice/Czech Republic and Vilnius/Lithuania.
Only artists with a degree in a field of art (university level) from above mentioned cities can apply for the project DELFT OP ZICHT. If the applicant does not have a university degree, proof of equivalent ability must be provided through his or her artistic career.
• Participating artists create ‘new’ site-specific artwork related to the location. The project refers to the painting VIEW OF DELFT by Vermeer and challenges artists to make contemporary variants. The participating artists are selected on the basis of their project proposal in which the relation with Delft is visible. The selected artists will explore Delft and have Delft on trial for two months.
DELFT OP ZICHT has several meanings. It is a twist of the title of the Vermeer VIEW OF DELFT (ZICHT OP DELFT), a view of the city of Delft. In DELFT OP ZICHT the words are in a different order and stand for; to try, to test, to try out something, to have something on trial, a trial- test period. After this period of trail it can be decided to keep it or to return it.
In 2010, the first edition of id11 DELFT OP ZICHT was organized in art centre Kadmium and also this edition will take place there again. Kadmium will provide the working space for all 8 participating artists. Kadmium is an old school building, it has four classrooms, a small staircase, a beautiful hall with a long corridor and a square in front of it. During the regular opening hours of Kadmium the artworks in development will be seen by visitors.
HET TIJDELIJK VERBLIJF is the name of the living accommodation of the resident artist. In Delft id11 has no permanent living- or working spaces for accommodation or the realization of projects but responds to what is available, arises or comes up with a plan for a project. id11’s artist-in-residence program dependents on the availability of the temporary spaces. During August and September 2013 id11 will provide (temporarily) housing for the 8 participating artists. HET TIJDELIJK VERBLIJF is furnished with the necessary furniture. Shower and kitchen are always present in the vacant buildings temporarily filled in as living space.
Paid by host
• Travel expenses, reimbursed the travel cost till a certain amount.
• Studio fee at art centre Kadmium.
• Living accommodation.
• Working budget of 500 euro a month based on actual costs.
• A catalogue of the project will be published.
2 months August and September 2013.
June 17, 2013.